Most of the pond caretakers already know the significance that great quality water is vital when it comes to pond habitat. Being unaware of the ways to keep water quality can turn out to be troublesome to some.
The blog intends to provide concise tips to take care of the water quality in each season.
- The water tends to get warm in summer; therefore, any debris and leaves should be removed based on the fact that these toxins will quickly foul the water whenever left in the pond. An annual pond cleaning, including a full pond cleanout, and spring start up is recommended.
- It’s time to check in case of any o'rings in pump, filter, and UVC, and if they are found weakened, they should be replaced/lubricated.
- In the spring season, you should examine fish's health, and additional/baby fishes can be transferred to shops or companions.
- Spring season is suitable to examine water quality, and in case of any measurements that need adjusting should be done.
- Intended for greatest summer development and flowering, pond plants should be fertilized.
- Spring is the ideal time to replace the lamp in case you have UVC.
- You need to make sure that sufficient air is getting into the pond based on the fact that oxygen is vital in your pond. Therefore, in this case, the presence of air pumps, fountains, water courses, and waterfalls not just appear appealing, they likewise contribute in adding oxygen to the pond.
- In the summer season, maintenance on pond equipment is vital. In this case, the moment a drop in water flow is observed, the filter and pump are required to be cleaned. Due to excessive waste, the filter can block in a short time.
- There could be a situation when there is insufficient oxygen in the pond; therefore, the recommended way is to keep an eye on your fishes for signs of insufficient oxygen.
- You need to keep in mind that topping up isn’t considered as a water change. Some ponds require water changes, while others do not. Your Local Pond Professional can advise you on this if you are a new pond owner.
- In the summer season, the metabolism of fishes accelerates; therefore, they should be fed more.
- In autumn, fish's metabolism slows down; as a result, they will slow down and turn out to be a simple target for birds; therefore, in this case, pond netting may be required in order to provide your fishes safe environment.
- Plants can quit being fertilized, they will start to go dormant shortly and won't need as a lot of nutrients.
- Leaves need to be removed that have fallen into the pond from encompassing trees.
- The sediment that took place in summer needs to be removed.
- This is the time to separate and re-pot the pond plants.
- This is the time to deep clean pond pump and filter.
- Winter is likely the best time to set-up a pond or water feature; in this case, it is settled and keeps running easily when summer takes place. Therefore, you could start searching on the internet, ‘pond installation companies near me,’ and procure professional help.
- In the case of cold areas, the recommended way is to move pond pumps nearer to the pond’s surface because blending deeper cold water with warmer surface possibly will chill fishes resulting in unnecessary stress or even a fish kill. A separate pump sitting near the top of the pond or pond heater can keep a hole in the ice to allow gases to escape when ice forms.
- In the winter season, fishes’ metabolism gets slow; therefore, it is advised to reduce feeding and stop feeding fish when the water temperature drops below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Get rid of dead or dying lily and minor leaves and stems.
- Eliminate spoiling leaf litter and debris from the pond.
Local pond companies can provide a complete annual pond maintenance plan starting with pond start up in the spring, fall shut down, and everything in between based on your pond needs.